Tuckfield dives in to assistant principal post

Back to Article
Back to Article

Assistant Principal Michael Tuckfield listens to a question during a journalism class interview. (Photo by Maya Atene)

by Vista Staff

Michael Tuckfield once worked as a professional cliff diver. Now he is diving in to a new life as Monument Valley High School’s assistant principal.

“I have a background of working with teachers and helping them to become the best teachers they can be,” Tuckfield, 48, said. “My goal is to improve test scores and educational attainment.”

Tuckfield’s journey to MVHS was anything but direct. He grew up in Salt Lake City and attended one year at Brigham Young University before transferring to Utah University where he earned a degree in organizational communications. He landed a job with E-Bay leading a team that investigated fraudulent activity.

“I wasn’t going to go in to education,” he said, “but they moved my department to Canada and didn’t move me with it.” From there he returned to his lifelong pursuit of swimming and diving and started coaching springboard and platform diving. When a teaching position opened at a nearby school he applied and got the job, eventually earning his teacher’s certificate from Utah State University. He later returned to school at Southern Utah University and earned a Master’s degree in education.

Tuckfield comes to MVHS from a middle school with 1,600 students. Teaching and interacting with students is universal, he explained, but “coming from a huge school like that to a school like this – that’s where the differences are,” he said. “My passion is I really want to see students succeed.”

“I think he brings a new perspective,” said math teacher Will Clayson. “He’s coming from outside the district. He brings a new and fresh perspective and good insight for our teachers.”

Principal Spencer Singer agreed. “Mike’s been an academic coach for the past three or four years, so he will help bring better instruction to the classroom.”

Better instruction in the classroom is all about helping the teachers, Tuckfield explained. “I want to give the teachers the resources, training and strategies they need to succeed. I see my role more as a support role.”

In his time away from school, Tuckfield enjoys swimming and diving and spending time in the outdoors and being active. He grew up camping and

exploring southern Utah, so Monument Valley “feels like home.”

Tuckfield is married to Katrina Tuckfield, the new special education teacher at MVHS. They have three children: Jordan, 24; Whitney, 22; and Kylee, 18. Although the children are gone and out of the house, the Tuckfields are far from empty nesters — they share their home with three beagles.