MVHS archers are on target

Back to Article
Back to Article

MVHS archers are on target

Members of the MVHS Archery Club test their skills at a recent club meeting. The club members are, from left to right, Michael John, Kimberlyn Yellowhair and Karrilyn Yellowhair, (Photo by Tiffany Durham).

Kimberlyn Yellowhair, Vista Staff

The Vista sat down with archery club advisor Mrs. Jackson to find out more about bows, arrows, the traditional sport of archery and the MVHS Archery Club.

Vista: What is archery?

Mrs. Jackson: It is a sport that develops skills in shooting arrows with bows. By starting out with a traditional bow, you use your senses rather than shooting with a bow that has gadgets to help. Such bows are called compound and recurve bows.

Club members are taught skills and techniques such as how to hold the bow, how to stand and how to line it up with your eyes to aim.

Vista: What else do you learn?

Mrs. Jackson: One can also learn stories that are tied to our culture. One learns about types of arrows, fletching, knocks, quivers and wood to make the bow and strings. We hope to learn competitive shooting and eventually compete with other schools.

Vista: What makes archery unique and keeps people interested?

Mrs. Jackson: Archery is something you do that has a certain kind of feeling to it. It’s not magic, but a novelty. A lot of people find comfort in it or some sort of relaxation.

It’s not only for competition against others, but to compete against yourself. It’s fun to do. The more you practice, the more fun it is. It is not limited to just men. It’s open to women, men, children, even the elderly.

Vista: What makes archery enjoyable?

Mrs. Jackson: Archery can be addicting, satisfying, and very social. When competing in huge competitions around the world, it can be very social. You can enjoy it in every type of weather. You can make a fashion statement; you can also build confidence.