Filed under People, School News

New president strives for school spirit

Back to Article
Back to Article

New president strives for school spirit

The Monument Valley High School student body officers are, from left to right, Tanin Carlson, Meka Laws and Jeremy Yellowhair. Laws is student body president, Carlson is vice president and Yellowhair is secretary treasurer.

Maya Atene

Maya Atene

Maya Atene

by Vista Staff

Mekiella Laws, student body president, wants nothing less than for 2017-18 to be the best year ever for Monument Valley High School students.

“I have a lot of ideas and plans. I want to increase participation in activities,” Laws said. “It’s OK to participate and show that you are enjoying things.” With that in mind, Laws is considering holding more student dances including a winter homecoming dance and a Valentine’s Day dance, and hoping to stage more Spirit Weeks to generate school spirit. Laws will work with student body vice president Tanin Carlson, secretary treasurer Jeremy Yellowhair and the class officers in the student council to chase her dream of making this year memorable for all.

Laws said she became interested in running for student body president because, “I’ve always liked being in a leadership role.” She sees her time as student body president as a learning experience. “I still have a lot to work toward. I still need to work on my communication skills and to trust people – to let them do things, too.”

Laws enjoys studying history and has been a member of the school band as a flute and percussion player. This year she is working as a teacher’s assistant in the band room, but is not a member of the band. Her hobbies are reading and watching movies. Her academic goal right now is to attend college and major in history. Top college choices are Weber State University in Ogden, Utah, or New York University. Her favorite book genre is fantasy and her favorite movies are action movies with interesting plot twists.

Laws moved to Monument Valley in seventh grade. She has been a MVHS student since. She has five siblings, four brothers and one sister.

The Monument Valley High School student body officers are, from left to right, Tanin Carlson, Meka Laws and Jeremy Yellowhair. Laws is student body president, Carlson is vice president and Yellowhair is secretary treasurer. (Photo by Maya Atene)